Friday, March 17, 2006

Cast of Characters

Last night, we walked to the grocery store to buy an assortment of healthy foods and got treated to an interesting cast of characters. Our grocery store is smack dab in the middle of the "gay" neighborhood in Denver, and the store is nicknamed Queen Soopers (rather than King Soopers, of course), so it's always interesting to shop and watch the couples of all sexual preferences and levels of put-together-ness or dishevelment bicker and canoodle. Occasionally we even see Big Nerd couples who are nerdier than we are. I know, it's shocking.

Our experience last night, however, was interesting because we (or at least I) got to see three things we've never seen before:

  • A bluehaired old lady with hair so blue it was PURPLE. It was the color of the bleach stuff that you mix when you are bleaching your hair at home (I assisted in bleaching many a raver boy's head in college) - that bright purply blue. I've seen ladies with slightly blue-tinged hair before, but I'd never seen this haircolor on anyone over the age of 25.
  • A very large woman (maybe 5'10 to 6' tall, well over 200 pounds) wearing a carpet coat. And by carpet coat, I mean a long, nearly ankle-length coat that looked like it was made out of a patterned throw rug.
  • An Asian albino lady. This was a first for me; I've seen an Indian albino kid (he was with his whole family on BART and he looked like a white kid with his blond hair, light skin, and caucasian features, but was obviously Indian when you saw him with his family) and several African-American albino people (including two kids in one family), but never someone who was both Asian and albino. Her hair was beautiful.

I love people-watching at the grocery store.

In other news, I've just learned that my cousin is pregnant with Baby #3 (her other kids are 6 and 4), my other cousin is pregnant with Baby #2 (her first will be 20 months old when #2 is born - sheesh!), another cousin (my sister's age) is getting married in September, and one of my great aunts is dying of a nasty ovarian cancer. Guess I need to get started on the knitting and card-buying.

Wednesday: 35 minutes medium elliptical, 25 minutes randomized bike

Thursday: Rested, walked to grocery store

4 comments:

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Are you guys going to go see V for Vendetta tonight? I swear I am so close to tipping over the edge into graphic novels.

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

I'm sorry about your aunt, btw.

MLE said...

Hey, you know, we just might. Natalie Portman is Hulk's secret girlfriend.

Dan said...

Probably tomorrow, as we're both dog tired tonite...but in spite of some negative word of mouth, I'm pretty excited to see it...