Thursday, September 11, 2008

Moving Day

For the past few weeks, my office has been under the gun to throw away old crap, get organized, and get packed. Tomorrow is my last day in the dark basement cube, as Monday morning we'll be moving into a different building, a different space. It's on the 11th floor of a building right across the street (and across a parking lot), so it's going to be neither dark nor in a basement. I'll still have a cube, and it'll be smaller and far more crowded. Instead of sitting near 7 other coworkers and being removed from most office politics and gossip, I'll be right in the thick of it (there will be 38 of us in the new space). Instead of relative peace and quiet, there's going to be a lot more people and people noise around. Instead of never knowing what the weather's like, I'll be able to walk 3 cubes down to the window.

There have been a lot of drawbacks to my dark basement cube, but some benefits as well. It's far more laid back in terms of flexibility - people come and go, nobody keeps track, so I can get to the office late, leave early, take a longer lunch sometimes, and it's not a big deal. After tomorrow, that's probably not going to be the case. I'm really not looking forward to being around so many people again, in the middle of everything and everybody's business. But at least my plants will get some natural light. I'll keep you all posted about whether the good things about the move outweigh the bad; I have my reservations.

Speaking of moves, Dan's blog has moved to a new address; you can find him here.

And no blog post today can go without mention of what day it is. I don't think I've blogged about my 9/11/01 experiences before, but to sum up, it may very well have been the day I realized how important Dan was to me, because my first inclination (after discovering my friends in NYC were all OK) was to call him - not my family, not my closest friends, but my boyfriend of only a few months. I didn't have TV at the time, so I never saw any of the news coverage, and I refused to look at the horror on the internet. I read about it, of course, and read people's first-hand experiences, but the first time I ever saw the plane flying into the second tower was when I watched Farenheit 9/11 by Michael Moore. Needless to say, it made me cry. While 9/11 isn't my story to tell, it's definitely been on my mind today.

No comments: