Friday, October 02, 2009

Food on Friday: Bonus Photo Edition


Fall is here, my friends! With it comes cooler, snappy dry air, sweaters and tights, and my desire to eat things that involve apples and pumpkin. We had our first honeycrisps last week, and they were nothing short of fabulous. To celebrate my friend's fall baby, I made pumpkin chocolate chip muffins for her shower, and boy, were they tasty.

MLE's pumpkin chocolate chip muffins (makes 12, plus a few additional cookies)

1.5 cups all purpose flour (or 1 cup white, 1/2 cup whole-wheat)
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp baking powder
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup milk or water
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup pumpin
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour or add baking cups to muffin tin. In a smallish bowl, combine dry ingredients, set aside. In a medium bowl, beat butter and sugar together until fully mixed, then add eggs, vanilla, and pumpkin. Mix in dry ingredients. Add milk or water if batter is dry. Add chocolate chips. Scoop into muffin tin and bake for 15-20 minutes. With any leftover batter, grease a cookie sheet and plop remaining batter onto sheet, leaving quite a bit of room between each plop. Bake for around 10 minutes. Makes 12 muffins and 7-8 large soft pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.

Here are some photos I took on my way to work this morning. Everything is in transition; some trees have completely turned while others are just beginning.


City aspen will turn to gold when it Damn Well Feels Like It.









Here is the cake I made for Steve last weekend. I doubled this recipe, except I only used one cup of sugar and used bits of strawberry intead of raspberries. It was superdelicious.


And, apropos of nothing, a car in our neighborhood.


Yes, those are large, pink-lined, furry rabit ears.

2 comments:

Crafty Mama said...

I've never had a honeycrisp apple. I think I'm really missing out...because everyone says they're fabulous!

Emily SW said...

haha! love the car with bunny ears. :) we drove out to hotchkiss on the western slope to visit some friends--the aspens were going strong! what a great drive.

also, I am now craving pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. yum!