Sunday, November 08, 2009

A satisfying ending

Three things:

I finished Neal Stephenson's Anathem yesterday. At nearly 900 pages, plus fifty pages of appendices, it took longer than most books I've read recently. It was also the sort of book that I wanted to think about as I read, since so much of it involved really interesting philosophy and mental experiment.

The basic plot involves a different world, with interesting characters and an amazing storyline. The main character goes through a series of revolutions in the size of his world (so to speak), and each time his world expands it begins with a denouement of sorts. I absolutely loved just about every minute of reading the book - I'd forgotten how much I liked Neal Stephenson, maybe, so I am thinking I might go pick up the Baroque Cycle since I haven't read that yet. Anathem is highly recommended to anyone who likes to read, and it's a bonus for those who like science fiction and fantasy or who like playing with words in their head or those who like philosophy of science. Absolutely fantastic, and when it ended I was very sad, because I'd grown to love the characters and the story so much.

Today, we went to see The Men Who Stare At Goats, which was pretty much big dumb fun, with a bit more intelligence than big dumb fun movies usually are. George Clooney and Jeff Bridges got to reprise parts of the roles I've always thought they both had most fun playing (Ulysses Everett McGill from O Brother Where Art Thou and The Dude from The Big Lebowski, respectively). Ewan MacGregor is in it as well, and it's definitely worth a matinee price to see it in the theater, though I'm sure it will be just as good on DVD. Overall, it was quite silly and entertaining while being well-acted and a bit unusual at the same time.

And tonight, the season finale of Mad Men, about which I can say nothing but DAMN was that ever good. WOOOOO! Now we have to wait until next summer to find out what happens. ARGH.

2 comments:

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Have you read Stephenson's Snow Crash? I have it because a friend recommended it years ago. Am wondering what you think.

Mad Men was AWESOME. I saved the episode to watch again.

MLE said...

Yep, I've read Snow Crash, The Diamond Age, and Cryptonomicon. I haven't read his Baroque cycle, though.

re: Mad Men. I KNOW. Basically everything I was hoping would happen, happened!