Monday, March 15, 2010

In which I quit with the whining, already

So here's why my birthday weekend was awesome.

On Friday afternoon, I came home to find that a friend in the UK had sent me a surprise birthday package, complete with chocolate and tea. Dan made some bbq chicken pizza with a black bean sauce while I napped a raging headache away. His pizza crust recipe makes two crusts, so for breakfast on Saturday we had this breakfast pizza, which was totally amazing. It was a gorgeous sunny day, azure sky, and it felt like spring. We went shoe shopping (though didn't buy any shoes) and to Target and to Sunflower and to King Soopers, and then we went home and had guacamole and chips for lunch. In the afternoon, we went for ice cream at Lik's for the first time since September, I think, and met up with Kate, who recently outed herself as a blog reader who lives in my neighborhood, and her daughter. We had a lovely time and were going to have beers as well but realized all the nearby pubs were full of drunken green-clad revelers, so we called a rain check.

Saturday evening, I made up a recipe out of my head for macaroni and cheese, something I've never made before. It turned out so amazingly good. I will post a full recipe and tutorial later this week once I get all the photos off the fancy camera. This took hours longer than it usually takes me to cook a dinner, which I guess is because I'd never made this before and I was making it up as I went along? Anyhow, there was sauteed asparagus to go with, and we fell asleep completely satiated.

Sunday I got chocolate chip pancakes and turkey bacon for breakfast, big ploofy snow, a trip to the gym, walk in the snain (by the time we left the snow had turned into snain), and a hot shower. Lunch was whole grain bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon, and half a pomelo. I got calls from my mom and a few of my friends, two of whom even sung to me (thanks, Simon and Oldest Friend!), and I looked through old photos to find images of past birthdays. Dan went out of his way to be nice to me, knowing I was feeling raw, and he made me birthday pie (chocolate mousse pie!), and the exact dinner I wanted: oven-fried chicken, oven fries, and a salad with homemade dressing.

Today I'm feeling better. I'm going to own 31. 31 is my bitch. Watch out, world. I'm 31 years old and I'm not afraid of it.

6 comments:

Hillary said...

Love this post, lady :)

MLE said...

Thanks, Hills!

EEK! said...

31 is awesome! I loved 31, personally. I think 31 is so much better than 30, too. It feels like authority.

Anonymous said...

30 is but a mere introduction to your awesome 30s. 31 is rad. Also, two years younger than me YOU BITCH!

Hee! I kid. I loved this post, even though it made me so hungry I might gnaw my arm off.

Abby said...

I love all your food descriptions and congrats on what sounds like a wonderful birthday weekend. Pulling oneself up and out of those down in the dumps is hard work, but it sounds like you are well on your way.

Leah said...

Hey, I was singing too!