Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Getting Skinny Update 1

It was really really really cold in Denver this past weekend (I believe Saturday's high was 9F) so, except for a few errands, we didn't really leave the house. So on Sunday I did an ancient Pilates videotape (need to buy one on DVD, have checked out Amazon but not made any decisions). I had Monday off because a long time ago some presidents were born, and I spent about two hours cleaning and then went to the gym and worked out for a solid 90 minutes (full weight circuit, 35 minutes on the elliptical, and 20 minutes of free weights and crunches/leg lifts). Yesterday I did 35 minutes on one of the harder ellipticals and 25 minutes on the bike.

When I got home I felt OK and had a little snack. Within an hour I was shaky, nauseated, and in fullblown super low blood sugar mode. It took a long time to go away and took me nearly an hour to only eat half my dinner. I haven't had a blood sugar episode like that since we were doing our marathon training two years ago. It was kind of scary.

It's hard to lose weight when you have blood sugar issues. I have to balance out what I eat and when and how much I exercise to make sure those really low dips don't happen - but I'm also trying to lose weight. I wish I had the kind of job where I did a lot more walking around. Trying to fit my daily exercise into 35 or 60 or 90 minutes and working out as hard as I can to get the most out of it isn't ideal; I'd rather be doing lower impact activity for most of the day. The 40 minutes of walking I do (to work, home for lunch, back to work, home from the gym) isn't nearly enough to counteract Office Butt. I know that I lost weight in China because we were walking 5 or 6 hours a day.

1 comment:

Yank In Texas said...

Oh hell. I know this is late but I only found your blog recently and all... but word. I totally understand the whole blood sugar thing. Nasty thing isn't it?
I have to keep some sort of candy/sugar with me in case that happens when I actually want to eat. You feel so sick and eating will actually be good for you, but you feel too sick to eat.
But eating some protein and carbs before going to the gym will really help. I have to snack if I'm going to the gym right after work or I'll start feeling icky while I'm on the elliptical.