Monday, May 22, 2006

I'm 30,000 feet above Tupelo with the members of Stillwater and we're all about to die

Let's just say that my knees are still shaking from the awesome plane ride I just took from Denver to Grand Junction. Let's also say that it isn't my favorite activity in the world to fly over some afternoon-stormy Rocky Mountains in a 17-seater aircraft, seated in the last row so I get the most stomach-unsettling ride possible. I consider it to be a spectacular feat that I did not lose my lunch (tuna and lettuce in pita pocket, orange, handful of walnut pieces) on the descent. Because DAMN. Them was some shakin'. You know that feeling of being on a roller coaster that lasts for like, 30 seconds or a minute after you've waited in line in the hot sun for 45 minutes just to have your lunch jarred a little closer to the upper sphincter than you'd like? Well, forget paying amusement park prices. Just get yourself a ticket on a puddle-jumper aircraft and fly over the Rockies on a summer afternoon. WOOO!

The cool part of the ride was sitting next to this guy who had been a bombadeer in the Air Force in WWII and he had some pretty cool stories. Plus, while waiting for my flight, I got to hear the guy sitting next to me in the waiting area have 209384029384 cell phone conversations dealing with the aftermath of a weekend trip to Vegas (and also, having to drive his laser from Grand Junction to Albequerque after said debaucherous weekend in Vegas for his 21st birthday) and if "drive his laser" isn't the coolest euphemism for SOMETHING than I'm just losing my edge.

The best part of this whole "flying to Grand Junction" thing is that I get to go back to Denver tomorrow in the same plane at the same time - after driving windy mountain roads back from Rangely for 2.5 hours. I think maybe I just won't eat anything tomorrow.

6 comments:

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

The Rockies are pretty scary to fly over in a jet airliner (for me).

I've flown into Denver once and I think that was enough.

Dan said...

Dude. Best...post title...ever...

Anonymous said...

"Bombadeer" is my favorite word this week. And just reading about that plane ride makes me sick. Ugh.

AL RULES said...

you should catch the greyhound next time. the people on there are ever so friendly and they smell divine. there is nothing so bonding as spending 53 hours in a cramped seat with a guy who loves ratt and skid row more than he loves his 7 bastard children (who are kicking the seat you are in from behind)

trust me...greyhound is the way to go. i mean the scent that springs for the washroom everytime a withered old lady comes out of it is almost heavenly. its like a choir of angels dusted the air with roses...and sewage. and the movie selection is untouchable. 3 Ninjas IV will go down as one of the greatest films ever.

Go Greyhound!!!

MLE said...

mmmm...withered old lady sewage scent...mmmmm

yournamehere said...

I agree with Monkey; flying over the Rockies in a jet is scary enough.

Did someone announce their closeted homosexuality just before the plane straightened out? That would have been funny.