Sunday, July 09, 2006

Where's the old man with the boat and the menagerie?




It has now been a week of rain.

No, I'm not kidding. This is the most bizarre weather I've ever encountered. Denver is a DESERT. The most I have ever seen it rain is an hour or two on summer afternoons during thunderstorms. But we have had an entire week of rain; it's rained in the morning and the afternoon and the evening and through the night.

Today it was cold enough for me to want hot steel-cut oatmeal for breakfast (though we didn't have any milk, so we had fried egg sandwiches and cherries instead). And hot chocolate. I wanted to drink hot chocolate in JULY in DENVER. We ran some errands this afternoon and I put on my China pants, a long-sleeved shirt, a hooded sweatshirt, and socks and shoes. SOCKS. In July. In a desert. It feels like February in the Bay Area.

I'm really not complaining, because we need all the water we can get (plus, I bet the plants are all loving it), but dude. It's July in a desert and it's rained for a week. I've never seen anything like it.

1 comment:

Yank In Texas said...

Yikes. That's insane. Please send some of that rain our way. We need it. It keeps threatening to rain but never actually does much. The temp only drops about 10 degrees though. But anything will do!