Thursday, August 23, 2007

Gearing up for fall

I'm still in the same job, so fall (once again) is going to be extraordinarily busy. I'm going to be doing six trainings around the state (one I'll fly to, two others are longish drives), plus going to Minneapolis for several days for my national conference and also will be going to California again for my cousin's wedding and more wedding planning for us.

This month we've been gone every weekend so far, with a day or two on either side as well, and this weekend coming up will be the only one we have at home. Then we're gone for the Labor Day weekend (our friends' wedding in which I will wear a Ren Faire wench outfit and Dan will wear a generic tux), and then the second half of September is all about the traveling. Then October and probably part of November. I love the parts of my job when I get to travel, but at the same time it gets tiring after a few weeks. And the kitties always miss me. Dan's going to be super busy with school this fall (five art classes!), so neither of us is going to have a lot of time for things like trip planning or wedding planning, which is one of the reasons we've tried to get things done so far in advance.

I just called to get my ticket to Minneapolis and I'm kind of excited to see it when it isn't freezing outside and making my hands all cold and hurty. I'm also excited to do some things that I didn't do when I was there in March. Anyone have any suggestions as to stuff to do in the Twin Cities? I won't have a car, so my feet or public transportation will need to get me to wherever (I'll be staying downtown). I'd stalk Neil Gaiman but I don't think he'd like that very much. Good neighborhoods to traipse around in? Good places to see live music? Any and all suggestions appreciated.

4 comments:

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

This is so apropos of nothing but I was talking to one of my regular outside lawyers the other day and he was talking about going on vacation with all of his children and grandchildren and I asked him how many grandkids he has.

"Twenty-four"

SQUAAAA WHATTT?

So then I say "ummm [name of lawyer], how many children do you have?"

"Eight" (this in a cheerful tone)

So some delicate questioning later-

He has 6 sons and 2 daughters.

And 5 lawyers and 3 doctors. All of whom are married to doctors.

So....while they may not be the norm as a family, not all of these freaky large families are fundy Christians (they're Jewish, but not Orthodox). I told him he should be very proud of his brood. And then I took a call from my other favourite lawyers and was like "Did you know X has like a thousand kids?" and they were like "yeah, didn't you know that? They're all doctors and lawyers, too." LOL. Apparently he does have 2 sets of twins, though. And the guy is a multi-multi millionaire, and has been for a while. Though to look at him, you would not know.

After my stunned silence to "8" he said that he and his wife were both only children and just liked children.

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Also have to note that he's a skillion years old, too, not like a young fellow, so maybe his litter wasn't as big a deal when the kids were born in the late 50s and 60s. But he has been wealthy for a long time and IMO you don't put 8 children through college, who then go on to difficult graduate programs by acting like the Duggars. I wish these those freaks could take a page from his and his wife's book (I know her too, actually).

MLE said...

wow! 8 kids with graduate degrees is a lot to handle, but it sounds like they made it work.

My grandparents had 5 kids and have 13 grandkids and 3 great-grandkids, and that's nothing compared to my grandma's siblings who all had between 8 and 11 kids each and they all had kids too. Our family reunions can be kind of overwhelming. But they were all Catholic.

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Yeah, I very much think he and his wife are out of the norm-they're slightly younger than my grandparents but older than my own parents. I think we are talking about a different time and place (2 kids who immigrated here as children from Europe, families devastated by the Holocaust). And like I said, he is in his late 70s/early 80s.

All of his kids have 3 children-so it should be noted none of them followed in his footsteps.

But I don't think it would work in a more modern era-we're talking about someone who is very educated, married to a very educated woman, who has been financially succesful for a very long time, and crept into a niche market when it was BOOMing (he probably made a cool couple of million in the 60s and 70s when these transactions were in their heyday). This isn't like a basement church tax dodging every kid living at home no belief in education deal.

While I question the purpose of having too many kids simply because Americans consume more per child than anywhere else in the world-my biggest object to those creepy TLC families is how they seem to be gearing up for living in some prairie cabin defending against an apocalypse. Last I checked, none of them had produced an educated, talented bunch like A & I did.