Wednesday, October 17, 2007

How I eat, by MLE (courtesy Monkey and Average Jane)

1. How do you like your eggs? Scrambled, in omlette form, with stuff in them. Occasionally I get in the mood for a fried egg sandwich, which is also pretty much the only time I ever eat mayonnaise.

2. How do you take your coffee/tea? Coffee is gross. I'll drink chai or green tea if I feel I need caffeine and it's cold outside. If I'm sick I want herbal "teas".

3. Favorite breakfast food: Whatever we make for breakfast on the weekends. Buckwheat crepes with ricotta, whipped cream and pomegranate seeds/strawberries. Coffee cake. Waffles from scratch topped with fresh fruit. French toast. Spinach/mushroom/goat cheese omlettes. Breakfast potatoes or sweet potatoes. Eggs with stuff in them. Man, I don't have a favorite. I likes me some breakfast food.

4. Peanut butter: Only the hippie kind (peanuts only, crunchy not smooth)

5. What kind of dressing on your salad? vinagrette or ranch or spicy tomato, always on the side if I order it in a restaurant. I use very little. For a while at home I just used rice vinegar and faux Mrs.Dash.

6. Coke or Pepsi? I don't care, but it's probably diet and mixed with booze if I'm drinking it. And I'm probably at the cabin.

7. You’re feeling lazy, what do you make? Burritos (refried black beans, ground turkey or chicken, tomatoes lettuce onion bell peppers etc, salsa)

8. You’re feeling really lazy. What kind of pizza do you order? With chicken and mushrooms probably.

9. You feel like cooking. What do you make? I probably bake something.

10. Do any foods bring back good memories? I have a lot of holiday-related food memories/associations. Too many to go into, probably. Though Christmas dinner in my family is usually enchiladas or lasagne, something really time-consuming and special.

11. Do any foods bring back bad memories? I've always wondered whether I don't like coffee because one time when I was a little kid (as in, too short to see over the kitchen counter), I had some milk in a tupperware cup and set it down. I came back a couple of hours later and the same tupperware cup was on the counter, so I thought it was my milk, but my dad (for some reason) had instead filled it with coffee. UGH. Also, for a while I didn't want to eat this curried red lentil recipe that Dan makes (though it is very yummy) because we ate it on election night of 2004 and we both pretty much lost our appetites. It took us a while to be able to eat it again.

12. Do any foods remind you of someone? Indian food reminds me of Dan, since I introduced him to it and now he makes it for me.

13. Is there a food you refuse to eat? I don't eat mammal. I don't eat raw (as in, not part of a bread or muffin) bananas. I don't eat eggplant, but that's because I'm allergic.

14. What was your favorite food as a child? Grapefruit and red bell peppers. They're still favorites.

15. Is there a food that you hated as a child but now like? Lots of standard stuff (tomatoes, mushrooms, spicy stuff).

16. Is there a food that you liked as a child but now hate? Nope, I think my taste buds have matured. Though as a kid I drank 2% milk and now anything but skim tastes like cream to me.

17. Favorite fruit and vegetable: Fruit: depends on the season (I tend to like whatever is in season). Vegetable: also seasonal, but I guess red bell pepper if we're not talking green veggie.

18. Favorite junk food: Samosas, salsa-flavored sunchips

19. Favorite between meal snack: Favorite or what I actually eat? Favorite will entirely depend on what I feel like eating. Maybe chips and homemade guacamole. But I actually eat string cheese between breakfast and lunch and a few walnuts and slices of turkey between lunch and dinner.

20. Do you have any weird food habits? I nearly always make sure that the last bite of a meal is my favorite thing on my plate for that particular meal.

21. You’re on a diet. What food(s) do you fill up on? I don't really "diet" but I do restrict calories sometimes and I avoid eating stuff I shouldn't. It's really hard to stay good about what I eat when I travel for work, so this year I've vowed to not eat everything and leave some food on my plate at ever restaurant/catered meal. I think my normal diet is pretty healthy in general.

22. You’re off your diet. Now what? I don't restrict calories as much and I might have a few more "treats" but I never let myself go crazy with what I eat because a) it makes me feel like crap (best to keep blood sugar stable), and b) it's a lot harder to lose weight than gain it and I'd rather not gain.

23. How spicy do you order Indian/Thai? Depends on the restaurant/food/my mood. Probably medium here in Denver and mild on the coasts/where it's more authentic.

24. Can I get you a drink? Water please. I rarely drink anything but water unless it also has alcohol in it.

25. Red or White Wine? Both. Depends on what I'm eating/the temperature/what we have in the house.

26. Favorite dessert? Tiramisu, though pie is awfully good. And gelato. Oh, I can't choose.

27. The perfect nightcap? Nightcaps in our house are rare. Probably water.

No comments: