Thursday, July 10, 2008

Ik!

I was a rather picky eater as a child. I didn't like flavorful, spicy things, I didn't like mushrooms, I didn't like most vegetables (though grew to love them when prepared differently, the only veggie I can't stand now is brussels sprouts but that's because they taste like feet smell). I guess I was a typical kid in that respect. I don't exactly remember when I started liking more things and trying out new flavors, but I do remember the first time I ate guacamole and really enjoyed it - I was maybe eight or nine, and my mom was trying out a new Mexican-type meal of some sort. Burritos? Anyhow, I really liked the guacamole, and over the years as I grew up we'd sometimes get avocados and make guac as a treat - not something we had very frequently, but something that was thoroughly enjoyed by all when we did have it.

These days, for some reason, the grocery store where we buy produce often has avocados on sale. I've never liked avocados on their own (they taste too fatty to me, but I don't like a lot of fatty-tasting things like macadamia nuts, so maybe it's just a mouthfeel thing), but I loves me some good, freshly-made guacamole. We have it once every three or four weeks, buying the avocados a few days ahead of time to make sure we catch them at the appropriate ripeness. Here's how we make it at Casa Pantalones del Nerd (all amounts, again, are estimates because I don't measure anything).

Guacamole!

2 ripe avocados (will give to the touch but not mushy)
1/4 finely chopped medium red or yellow onion
1/4 finely chopped red bell pepper (can you tell yet that I really like red bell pepper?)
1/2 cup jarred medium heat salsa (we use a kroger brand Chipotle flavor called Salsa Grande)
1 medium tomato, seeded, drained, and diced (if in season, meaning if we have them ripe in our garden)
good handful of cilantro, finely chopped
juice of 1/2 lime
garlic powder and chili powder to taste (maybe 1/2-1 tsp each?)
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: splash of tequila
And the secret ingredient? Maya-ik hot sauce from Guatemala, a good squirt

Slice avocados lengthwise around pit. Twist and open so that the pit is in only half the fruit. Take a knife and make a quick chopping motion to embed the knife in the pit for easy removal. Score the flesh of the avocado into small pices (make lines lengthwise and widthwise with a paring knife) and use a spoon to scoop fruit out of skin and into bowl. Add onion and bell pepper. We use a chopper kind of like this one inherited from Dan's grandma for our fine chopping needs. Add salsa, tomato, and cilantro. Squeeze lime and add juice. Add seasonings and tequila if you want. Mash it all up with a potato masher like this one. Taste and add seasonings as needed. Because of the salsa, it's not as green as guac from the store, but boy, is it tasty. Serve immediately with tortilla chips (or julienned veggies, if you're feeling saintly) or use on burgers, in burritos, etc. This recipe makes enough for four people to snack on or two people to get sick on.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Did Katherine teach you the secret of Maya Ik Guacamole, or did we each come to the same conclusion independently? Wouldn't surprise me, as Maya Ik makes everything taste better. Try it on ice cream!

Crafty Mama said...

I've been reading your blog for a little while and I love the guac recipe. I can't wait to try it. And I love how you said it's enough "for two people to get sick on!"

Anonymous said...

I could eat guacamole for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This entry made my mouth water.

Oh, and I love your observation about brussels sprouts and feet...and wondering if, since I like eating brussels sprouts, I would like eating feet. Hm.