Friday, August 21, 2009

Friday Faff: Not so faffy edition

Last night we had dinner with a work friend and her husband, who are amazingly like us in interests and intellect, down to the same exact tattered copy of The Chronicles of Prydain on the bookshelf. We played some Zauber Cocktail and ate homemade pizza and strawberry shortcake and played Cranium and had a generally wonderful evening.

The interesting part was that they're quite religious and completely opposite us politically.

Luckily, it didn't stop us from having a great time. But I did think it was interesting.

Of course, this isn't the first time I've been friends with someone who had very different religious and political views. Joey, for example, was Catholic and pro-life and I think I opened his eyes to the fact that someone doesn't have to be religious to be a good person.

Then there was my Christian Republican cowboy country singer travel friend, with whom I got along like peas and carrots, but with whom an actual relationship would never have worked for any number of reasons.

I find myself wishing that people who have opposing viewpoints would be willing to see the similarities between themselves and people who disagree with their viewpoints. Everything does not always have to be how one side or another is right. How about how both sides can work together to make things better for everyone?

4 comments:

Cilicious said...

I meet quite a few 'opposites' where I live (Actually, I knew several in Denver, as well). We are indeed able to work together much of the time, because as you say, we find common ground instead of focusing on the differences.

tmjackson said...

Hey! Just got caught up on a few weeks of your blog - whew, you've been busy. Your hike sounded very interesting, and while I completely understand your frustration at not getting to the summit, I'm glad that you made it down all right. Also, hope your neck is feeling better.

Also, also - shit, Republicans are people? Well, that changes everything.

Anonymous said...

My parents & sister are pretty right-wing and very conservative, and I am SO VERY NOT. We still manage to get along (esp. my sister and I), as long as we don't discuss politics. I have accepted that they think I am a crazy hippie, and I have accepted (sort of) that they watch Fox News.

Hillary said...

yes ... just yes