Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The blahs

As you may or may not have noticed, for the three of you still reading this, I haven't been posting much. I think it's because I have the January blahs. For the past few years, we've gone on a fun trip in January. Not this year - the double whammies of Petra's illness/death and Christmas, coupled with the furlough (unpaid) days I have for work now, meant that we couldn't afford to do any of the trips we talked about.

So here I sit, in the blahs. The sky is gray. It's cold outside, not horribly cold, but not pretty and snowy either. I'm still not over my mild cold. I want to go snowshoeing, but we have to buy snowshoes. I feel as though I'm once again stuck in a rut, unable to move in any direction.

We've had friends and relatives over the last couple of nights for dinner, which has been a nice change from the usual routine of computer-staring and TV-watching. I haven't yet mustered the energy to start any new projects. At least the house got cleaned over the 4-day weekend I just had.

I think January blahs are normal; however, in recent years there's been a trip to look forward to and/or go on, and this year, nothing. We have a new little kitty, growing daily, who has helped to bring some laughter back into our house of Dead Kitty Sadness, but even that isn't enough to get me out of the doldrums. I continue to go to the gym nearly every day, trudge to and from work, and wonder when I'll feel inspired again.

6 comments:

Hillary said...

I'm also suffering from the January blues. It feels like ages until there will be sunshine again.

Emily SW said...

are you REI members? i think you can rent snowshoes from the flagship store in denver.

but i'm with you...january is generally ok for me..it's the february blahs i have to look out for.

Abby said...

Yeah, winter sucks as do many of the in-between parts of life. Anyways greetings to your new kitten and I hope February brings you closer to spring and closer to fun things like trips! (have you considered Chicago, I hear it is awesome! :) )

Yank In Texas said...

I'm too even though the weather is nice right now but that also brings cedar fever which is awful. It'll be over soon.

Anonymous said...

I have always hated January for this reason. The cold, dead weather usually doesn't make me want to drive pencils into my eyeballs until March, but I think I am already there this year.

Hope you find something to perk you up soon.

Leah said...

BUT WHAT IS THE KITTEN'S NAAAAAAME????!!!!